It was Mr. Fix-It and my Mom's birthday this past weekend. Friday night I had a big party for Mr. Fix-It....umm so fun and the rest of the weekend we all headed up to the cottage for some family time, food, drinks and love.
What's a birthday without a birthday cake? A few weeks ago, this little magazine was in the package that my Style at Home magazine came in. After flipping through the first couple of pages, I knew that these recipes would be good to have on hand.
We realized as we were eating it that I didn't take a photo of it. Ugh. Honestly, this is one of THE BEST DESSERTS EVER!! If you love chocolate, you will LOVE this dessert. It's rich.dense.heaven.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 4 oz bittersweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- 7 oz milk chocolate, chopped, divided
- 2/4 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
WHAT YOU DO:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan and line with a round of parchment paper.
2. Melt bittersweet chocolate with 2 oz milk chocolate and the butter in a large, heavy saucepan set over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and salt followed by eggs and vanilla. Sift cocoa over chocolate mixture; stir until combined.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top has a thin crust and the edges pull away from the pan. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edge of cake; carefully invert onto a serving plate and remove parchment paper. Cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1/3 cup whipping cream in a small saucepan set over low heat. Add remaining milk chocolate; stirring until melted and smooth. Cool to room temperature.
5. Beat remaining whipping cream until very stiff. Gently fold chocolate mixture into whipped cream until uniformly combined. Chill for at least 30 mins.
6. Mound chocolate cream onto centre of cake just before serving. Garnish with chocolate curls or dusting of cocoa.
**I didn't mound the chocolate cream over the top...just dolloped some on each person's piece of cake as I served. We had some whipping cream leftover so guess what went into our coffee on Sunday morning? YUM!
You can download this recipe and the magazine for free here.
I definitely recommend that you keep this recipe in your back pocket for when you need to make that fresh.fabulous.sophisticated dessert!
Keep it Beautiful.
Follow me on Twitter: keepitbeautifu1
***Don't forget to check out my post from yesterday and enter in to win 2 tickets to see the Sens vs. the Leafs! Awesome!!